Author Topic: /r/Monero  (Read 1406 times)

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - [QUESTION] Need help with Yam .cfg for pool mining.
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2017, 06:05:18 AM »
[QUESTION] Need help with Yam .cfg for pool mining.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for the sub but after hours of searching online I figured I try here. I'm currently doing some pool mining with my PC, and wanted to throw my girlfriends mac into the mix just to see what I could bump my hashrate to. Downloaded the correct microarchitecture Yam executable, downloaded the .cfg file that dwarfpool supplies, and placed the .cfg into the same directory as the executable. The config file is currently this:

threads = 0

mining-params = xmr:av=0&donation-interval=50

mine = stratum+tcp://my_wallet.3:x@erebor.dwarfpool.com:8005/xmr mine = stratum+tcp://my_wallet.3:x@moria.dwarfpool.com:8005/xmr

mine = stratum+tcp://EXCHANGE_WALLET.PERSONAL_PAYMENT_ID.12345:x@erebor.dwarfpool.com:8005:8050:8080:8100/xmr

mine = stratum+tcp://EXCHANGE_WALLET.PERSONAL_PAYMENT_ID.12345:x@moria.dwarfpool.com:8005:8050:8080:8100/xmr

compact-stats = 1 print-timestamps = 0

I've gotten the miner to run it seems, but connection to either the first or second (erebor or moria?) address it fails, no shares submitted, no shares accepted.

If anyone can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Please and thanks!

submitted by /u/Nez_Coupe
[link] [comments]
Source: [QUESTION] Need help with Yam .cfg for pool mining.

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - Solo Mining Luck?
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »
Solo Mining Luck?

How much luck do you think I will have to mine a block, I'm using the wallet at about on average 222 h/s. Wish me luck!

submitted by /u/throwaway848573764
[link] [comments]
Source: Solo Mining Luck?

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - Monero Wallet Stuck at Sync Block 25331
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »
Monero Wallet Stuck at Sync Block 25331

Hello,

So I downloaded the Monero Wallet the other day for Mac on the GetMonero website....I have been letting my wallet sync for the past 2 days or so and things would go smooth ish but now Im stuck on block 25331 it hasnt moved for about 4 hours now. Is this because the latest update with the fork?

What do I do step by step to make this fully sync?

I sent a small amount of coins to the wallet address for long term investment and I cant get access to them until the wallet fully syncs and now its stuck. What do I do

Thanks!

submitted by /u/dannkdj88
[link] [comments]
Source: Monero Wallet Stuck at Sync Block 25331

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - Monero is secure and private. So what?
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2017, 01:45:37 AM »
Monero is secure and private. So what?

There are plenty of reasons why criminals would want to use Monero. But I was wondering today, why would non-criminals want to use it?

Before you say, "because it's private!" I'd counter that with, "is privacy really a sufficient selling point?" Is privacy really something that a majority of people really want?

Think about the purchases I've made in the past week. Gas for the car. Breakfast. Groceries. Big deal! None of that stuff is private. I don't care who knows I made those purchases.

Monero feels like a solution waiting for a problem. What's the practical application of a totally secure and private payment method?

submitted by /u/Badboniac
[link] [comments]
Source: Monero is secure and private. So what?

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - [QUESTION] Why hide transaction amount?
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2017, 06:31:55 AM »
[QUESTION] Why hide transaction amount?

First of all, let me say I'm really charmed by the methods Monero uses to hide the privacy of users. If I have this right, it hides:

• Who sends who (by using stealth addresses)
  • The transaction amount (RingCT)
  • In a future release: IP addresses

At what cost (for example in terms of transaction size) are transaction amounts hidden? I ask this because when we have IP addresses also hidden, then you would say that nobody cares how much is being sent from completely hidden senders and receivers, right?

So why is the following not good enough and do you have good reasons to hide amounts?

***** sends [some amount] to ****** 

How much more efficient can Monero be if amounts are visible?

submitted by /u/tempMoneroLolwut
[link] [comments]
Source: [QUESTION] Why hide transaction amount?

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - Opening old simplewallet file
« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
Opening old simplewallet file

So, I have a simplewallet file from 2014. How can I go about opening this wallet for use on Mac OS X? I've downloaded the new wallet GUI, but I don't see a way to import or open a wallet. It just seems to support a single wallet.

submitted by /u/oojacoboo
[link] [comments]
Source: Opening old simplewallet file

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As a Gold & Silver investor i am seriously looking into Monero. Anything i should know/do as a novice.

I see a lot of really good advantages that i haven't seen in other major alt like bitcoin/litecoin/etherium etc.

Any advice or good points of knowledge i should know about the tech or the space before getting in.

*For full disclaimer; i have only owned a few various crypto's in the past but didn't pay enough attention and ultimately lost all of them through various exchange meltdowns (namely MtGox & Bter)

submitted by /u/KIN6P1N
[link] [comments]
Source: As a Gold & Silver investor i am seriously looking into Monero. Anything i should know/do as a novice.

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - XMR Is The Most Undervalued Crypto Right Now
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2017, 12:21:49 AM »
XMR Is The Most Undervalued Crypto Right Now

submitted by /u/Bitcoinfriend
[link] [comments]
Source: XMR Is The Most Undervalued Crypto Right Now

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
JS dev here, what steps would I have to take in order to integrate Monero into a light (mobile) wallet app?

I know that teams have created plugins in order to connect their mobile wallets (react-native) to specific currencies. I believe bCoin is sometimes used for Bitcoin. Can someone give me a rough idea of what the steps that would need to be taken to begin this process? Also, what dev skills will be most critical (eg async operations, or being able to read languages other than Javscript?) . Any help would be appreciated!

submitted by /u/captaincryptoshow
[link] [comments]
Source: JS dev here, what steps would I have to take in order to integrate Monero into a light (mobile) wallet app?

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - Low CPU hashrate - can't figure out why!
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
Low CPU hashrate - can't figure out why!

Hey guys,

Been GPU + CPU mining with nicehash for a few months as well as running my AMD GPUs mining eth directly elsewhere.

Recently I upgraded my PC; got a 1080Ti and an i7-7700k. I've seen on the profitability calculator and elsewhere on benchmark tables that the i7-7700k (at around 4.7GHz is capable of 360 H/s for cryptonight (using XMR-Stak-CPU).

However, mine is overclocked to 5GHz core and 4.8GHz cache and I can never get it above ~280H/s...

I've tried everything I could think of. Read and tried all the tips here but no luck at all. https://github.com/nicehash/NiceHashMiner/wiki/Notes-and-hints-on-CPU-mining

Have even tried other cpu-miner programs externally without nicehash - all with similar results. I'm stumped!

Would really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks

submitted by /u/benjim123
[link] [comments]
Source: Low CPU hashrate - can't figure out why!

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - GUIDE: How to buy Monero in the UK
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2017, 07:02:25 PM »
GUIDE: How to buy Monero in the UK

GUIDE: How to buy Monero in the UK submitted by /u/Trump_Hunter
[link] [comments]

Source: GUIDE: How to buy Monero in the UK

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - CLI can't open wallet made in GUI
« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2017, 12:50:59 AM »
CLI can't open wallet made in GUI

I created a new wallet in the GUI. Made a transaction. After a few hours, I exited it. Tried to load it int the CLI: torsocks ./monero-wallet-cli --wallet-file /path/to/wallet --daemon-address some.remote.node --log-level 4 After the help line, it just exits. Still loads fine in the GUI (torsocks ./start-gui.sh). Here's the log:

2017-09-15 13:58:38.169 7fdfe2719740 INFO logging contrib/epee/src/mlog.cpp:148 New log categories: *:WARNING,net:FATAL,net.p2p:FATAL,net.cn:FATAL,global:INFO,verify:FATAL,stacktrace:INFO,logging:INFO,msgwriter:INFO 2017-09-15 13:58:38.169 7fdfe2719740 INFO logging contrib/epee/src/mlog.cpp:156 New log categories: *:TRACE 2017-09-15 13:58:38.170 7fdfe2719740 INFO msgwriter src/common/scoped_message_writer.h:102 Monero 'Helium Hydra' (v0.11.0.0-release) 2017-09-15 13:58:38.170 7fdfe2719740 INFO wallet.wallet2 src/wallet/wallet_args.cpp:171 Setting log level = 4 2017-09-15 13:58:38.171 7fdfe2719740 INFO wallet.wallet2 src/wallet/wallet_args.cpp:174 Logging to: ./monero-wallet-cli.log 2017-09-15 13:58:38.171 7fdfe2719740 INFO msgwriter src/common/scoped_message_writer.h:102 Logging to ./monero-wallet-cli.log 2017-09-15 13:58:39.332 7fdfe2719740 WARN wallet.wallet2 src/wallet/wallet2.cpp:2505 Loaded wallet keys file, with public address: 4<redacted> 2017-09-15 13:58:39.363 7fdfe2719740 INFO wallet.wallet2 src/wallet/wallet2.cpp:2524 Trying to decrypt cache data 2017-09-15 13:58:40.165 7fdfe2719740 INFO msgwriter src/common/scoped_message_writer.h:102 Opened wallet: 4<redcated> 2017-09-15 13:58:40.165 7fdfe2719740 INFO msgwriter src/common/scoped_message_writer.h:102 ********************************************************************** Use "help" command to see the list of available commands. ********************************************************************** 2017-09-15 13:58:41.083 7fdfe2719740 DEBUG net.http src/common/util.cpp:569 Address '<hostname redacted>' is not local 

That's it. Just exits (exit code 0). I've had this happen before but assumed I had just made a mistake somewhere. Here, I'm not sure what I could have fucked up. If I run without torsocks:

2017-09-15 14:09:39.323 7f5ef9104740 INFO msgwriter src/common/scoped_message_writer.h:102 ********************************************************************** Use "help" command to see the list of available commands. ********************************************************************** 2017-09-15 14:09:59.369 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:120 Exception: boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::system::system_error> > 2017-09-15 14:09:59.370 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:121 Unwound call stack: 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 [1] ./monero-wallet-cli:__wrap___cxa_throw+0x102 [0x85b342] 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 [2] ./monero-wallet-cli:void boost::throw_exception<boost::system::system_error>(boost::system::system_error const&)+0x130 [0x6f14b0] 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 [3] ./monero-wallet-cli:boost::asio::detail::do_throw_error(boost::system::error_code const&, char const*)+0x55 [0x6f1555] 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 [4] ./monero-wallet-cli:tools::is_local_address(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)+0xa75 [0x853685] 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 [5] ./monero-wallet-cli:cryptonote::simple_wallet::init(boost::program_options::variables_map const&)+0x76d [0x6ca1ad] 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 [6] ./monero-wallet-cli:main+0x291 [0x69e231] 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 [7] /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6:__libc_start_main+0xf0 [0x7f5ef8429830] 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 [8] ./monero-wallet-cli:_start+0x29 [0x6a6199] 2017-09-15 14:09:59.373 7f5ef9104740 INFO stacktrace src/common/stack_trace.cpp:159 

This is Ubuntu 16.04.03

submitted by /u/ecnei
[link] [comments]
Source: CLI can't open wallet made in GUI

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - Monero websites - thoughts and improvements
« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2017, 06:31:53 AM »
Monero websites - thoughts and improvements

One of the challenging aspects for any decentralized cryptocurrency is the lack of an official channel (website, spokesperson...), which makes it difficult to reach the public and educate them well. Similarly, it is difficult for the public to gain decent and reliable information about the cryptocurrency from a source among hundreds, some of which are better than others.

Being one of the truly decetralized cryptocurrencies, Monero of course does not have an official website, but getmonero.org comes pretty close to that.

I have a few comments regarding getmonero.org and tips for all pro-Monero sites in general:

I would firstly say that the getmonero.org looks plesantly simple and uncluttered, which is obviously positive. I hope it stays that way too when the upcoming website redesign is completed. The site is also relatively friendly for Monero beginners because it provides a good documentation how to get started with the new cryptocurrency. Hopefully other Monero stakeholders would contribute more to the common good. To be more specific, I am eagerly waiting more exchanges to start adopting Monero and hardware wallets coming to online stores.

Regarding the potential ideas for the site, I think there are two main elements that could be improved: relevant information for the "smart money" community and the effectiveness of the presented information from the marketing perspective.

Large investors, such as institutions, hedge funds, venture capitalists and other professional investors are typically bound by strict rules and requirements, which limit the potential asset classes they can invest in. The less (readily available) information there is about the specific asset, the less likely it is that the money flows in. In this sense, I have yet to find a single website out there that collectively presents all relevant technical and financial information about Monero in a scientific manner, or at least in a professional and business-like way.

For instance, key features and specifications, white papers, peer-to-peer papers, protocol documentation, details of the emission curve (this is extremely relevant, because it specifies the current and upcoming money supply in an explicit way) in a single place and certainly not offsite, like in Reddit, or in any other forum for that matter. I know some of this information is already available in getmonero.org, but I would urge to focus on its presentation and the professionalism. This would greatly improve the authentic image readers will perceive when they look at the available information of Monero, further improving its strong reliable image. This brings us to the second point.

There are hundreds of cryptocurrencies out there, but I honestly believe Monero has the highest potential for the future. The main reasons are its open, transparent and committed community (both developers and users), and the impartial and equal manner in which Monero was founded. This alone separates Monero from the vast majority of premined ICO cryptocurrencies out there, most of which have no real community behind them except the get-rich-quick people. This is not sustainable in the long term for them. Secondly and equally importantly, the anonymous features of Monero are vastly superior to others even this day.

I think most pro-Monero websites should focus even more on the message why Monero is a superior cryptocurrency, what makes it better than the other cryptocurrencies and why should the hedge fund manager, private investor or average Joe invest in it. Websites, such as getmonero.org do a decent job, but I think the WHY-message should be even more directly addressed and more visible. This is not to urge to aggressively dismiss the competition or overly hype Monero's features, but rather professionally and directly address WHY Monero is unlike all other others. WHY is Monero better than other cryptocurrencies from security, privacy, untracability, fungibility, et al. perspective? WHY should the investor invest his or her money in Monero rather than in some other cryptocurrency?

The influencing message should be direct and readily available on the front page, or at least somewhere where the reader is likely to find it. Not in some random page that is accessed from the bottom link of the third page.

At a quick glance, some valuable information that is not conveyed competently in most Monero sites:

Many cryptocurrencies are premined/instamined or their founders get a portion of all block rewards. This creates conflicts of interest and puts some stakeholders in an unequal position, favoring others. Monero is unbiased, because it was not premined and all block rewards go to miners instead of the creators of the protocol.

Monero is truly a decentralized cryptocurrency, and not controlled by a single corporation or any other centralized entity. This separates it from many other cryptocurrencies, like Zcash, which is exposed to the changing political-legal environment and it must always succumb to that pressure, creating enormous risks for its investors.

The vibrant Monero community is strong because of the aligned goals between users, developers and miners. The same cannot be said of Bitcoin, or even Ethereum. So far the community is growing rapidly, and it is only matched by Bitcoin and Ethereum communities.

I am posting this because I believe privacy is a fundamental right and I want Monero to succeed. I would gladly hear similar ideas from others. Please share if you have any feedback on how to improve the Monero message.

submitted by /u/citizen135
[link] [comments]
Source: Monero websites - thoughts and improvements

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - Extremely slow sync of GUI
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2017, 01:54:04 PM »
Extremely slow sync of GUI

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to Monero, but have been trying to get the GUI running in Windows. I currently have it set to run locally, but the synchronisation process is literally taking days. It got pretty quickly within 15,000 blocks of sync and then slowed to a crawl. I know the last blocks to download are larger, but this is taking crazy long (I've been running it for 4 days now). Am I doing something wrong??? Thanks

submitted by /u/The_Beer_Engineer
[link] [comments]
Source: Extremely slow sync of GUI

test--test-tesst-test

Vesp

• Administrator
    • View Profile
/r/Monero - Question: Is there any way to see number of confirmations in GUI?
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
Question: Is there any way to see number of confirmations in GUI?

Just a question - in the previous version of the GUI, a transaction would appear initially as UNCONFIRMED, and then 1/10, 2/10 etc. as confirmations occurred. I just picked up a few XMR and my transaction went from UNCONFIRMED to just appearing as complete.

I'm using the Linux 64-bit build.

submitted by /u/CapnFartfaceMcGee
[link] [comments]
Source: Question: Is there any way to see number of confirmations in GUI?

test--test-tesst-test